RIVERSPORT RAPIDS WHITEWATER PARK
- 1,305 linear foot Recreational Channel that drops 19.5 feet in elevation.
- 1,073 linear foot regulation length Competition Channel that drops 19.5 feet in elevation.
- 2 feature, combined-flow channel creates the highest volume, pumped freestyle features, in the world.
- Pump station (6 pumps) that pumps 492,000 gallons/minute, 23 feet in elevation.
- Conveyor belt capable of carrying nine loaded rafts, or 13,500 lbs, to recirculate users to the top pool.
- State-of-the-art movable Rapidblocs whitewater obstacle system allowing the course to change and adapt to different users and events over time.
- Main building with operations, guest facilities, and a restaurant for viewing the freestyle channel and the finish line of the competition channel.
- Kayak building specifically designed for professional athletes and recreational kayakers.
Riversport Rapids Whitewater Center is the first pumped-park design in the world that offers a recreational channel, a competition channel and a combined-flow freestyle channel in the same whitewater venue. The Whitewater Center is ideally located at the crossroads of two arterial highways and strategically placed within the city; a short water taxi or river walk away from Bricktown and Downtown OKC.
The Whitewater Center is part of the larger OKC Boathouse District Campus; encompassing a flatwater race and training channel on the Oklahoma River; a recreational boat house and multiple, local collegiate boat houses; a high performance training center; and an adventure center equipped with zip-lines, a climbing wall, and a dynamic-belay high ropes course. The boathouse district is also the headquarters for the USA Canoe and Kayak Federation and is designated as a U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Center.
S2o, as project lead, worked with the City, stakeholders, and sub-contractors throughout the planning and design process to create a design that is unique to the Western United States. The Whitewater Center has the technology of a world class venue but also has the aesthetics and scale to blend into the existing Boathouse District Master Plan and the City of Oklahoma City. S2o lead the design, construction and construction oversight of The Whitewater Center.